If you have ever involved in managing servers for hosting your website, you might know how a Web hosting control panel can make things easy for you. The feature-rich graphical interface of a web hosting control panel helps to manage all the server side process and tasks from a single window. It also allows to monitor and adjust all the server services virtually from anywhere with just a stable internet connection. So let’s get started the Key differences between Plesk and cPanel
Nowadays, the control panel market is becoming extremely competitive in nature and the ones in the competition are increasing their product functionality and services to attract more clients. Though many Web Hosting Control Panels are available, the most commonly used ones at the enterprise level are cPanel or Plesk mainly because of its ease of usage, functionality, and applicability. But here, we are giving away a few advantages Plesk holds while comparing it with the cPanel.
Plesk ONYX vs cPanel
The Plesk and cPanel are different in some important ways, but it also shares some similarities in its core functionality. The one major factor that makes the two control panels popular is that they are easy to work with thanks to its user-friendly Graphical User Interface (GUI). The GUI allows “point and clicks” interactions with icons rather than the traditional command-line operation.
But both control panels provides tools for monitoring server usage, performing server administration tasks, securing sites and so on. It also comes with email account access and management, file system and management, backup management, scheduling tasks (such as cron jobs), automation and many more.
Key difference between Plesk and cPanel
What makes Plesk differ dramatically from cPanel is its support for different operating systems. Plesk can operate on both Windows and Linux platforms, while cPanel limits to Linux only.
Plesk provides most popular tools like git, docker and extends its support for Ruby, Python, and NodeJS. But in the case of cPanel, it requires third party software to work with docker. Plesk has several extensions like Joomla, Drupal, WordPress and many more to make things simpler for developers.
What makes Plesk versatile?
Plesk is a good fit for all type of server environments like shared, dedicated and virtual private server. It can also accommodate the need of both simple and hard side of web hosting services by enabling full customization that helps for both the host and the end user. Incredible stability is one of the benefits of Plesk. It will protect websites from cyber-attacks, malware, and server-side crashes. So the extra layer of security from Plesk prevents downtimes of websites.
In the case of database errors or other types of non-functioning, Plesk has integrated troubleshooting to detect and repair the errors by itself. So if we are facing trouble/error in the database of WordPress or Joomla, we can try click repair option in Plesk. This will help us to recognize the error and fix it.
All of these functions and tools make the Plesk stronger, stable and reliable compared to other hosting control panels.
The Advantages of Plesk
1. Plesk control panel simplifies the administrative tasks and improves the functionality of your website.
2. Plesk advisor extension helps to make sure everything, from the server to the hosted web apps, to remain secure, while the simplified onboarding process guide newcomers to set up and run their websites.
3. Plesk comes with support for more useful apps and extensions straight from the box and is widely considered to have a cleaner graphical user interface(GUI) than cPanel.
4. Plesk support docker on Linux, with a catalog of over 200,000 docker images that can be launched from within the Plesk web hosting control panel. It is also compatible with Git through Gitman extension.
5. Cost of Plesk is very low for dedicated servers and cloud servers compared with cPanel so this is an added advantage for Plesk.
6. Plesk provides extensive support for developers by allowing the installation of the scripting language like PHP, so both Windows and Linux servers can benefit from it.
7. Plesk entertains extension development by providing various API’s that make ease for developers to develop cross-platform extensions.
8. The Plesk support team provides extensive help to queries and doubts raised and provides timely replies and suggestions throughout the entire product development cycle. As the documentroot changes in windows and Linux, Plesk API’s ease coding by just an API call to get the document root. Plesk runs as ‘psaadm’ while running the front end with ‘nologin shell’ making servers less vulnerable. Extensions are developed in PHP using the Zend Framework. So, anyone having exposure to Zend can easily develop an extension. Even if one does not know PHP, extensions can be implemented by finding ways to bind them to the Zend Controller.
Plesk can be used with any web hosting account, and users have the permission to change web hosts. Plesk is a multilingual control panel and allows users to choose the language of their choice. This compatibility makes Plesk a suitable option for users who prefer their native language while using the control panel.
The appearance of the Plesk control panel is easily customizable, and this helps for re-branding and reselling. Users have the ability to change the color of the control panel and able to resell it under a different name. There are several Plesk plans available and depending upon the Plesk plan, you are able to resell the hosting package to anyone.
Plesk is reliable as it has inbuilt security measures to protect your website from hackers, malware, server crashes and server downtime. It also has its own integrated troubleshooting features that automatically detect errors and repair it to bring back to the default condition.
The patented Plesk site builder includes a variety of useful tools that help to create, edit and organize the web pages. Plesk panel contains few web applications, and these can be enhanced with the few clicks of the mouse. The site builder itself is simple to use as it has a very simple user interface.
The extensions provided by Plesk are contributions from many developers and enterprises. The plethora of extensions gives additional benefits while using Plesk. Each and every extension before getting inside the Plesk extension Store goes through a thorough security check, code optimization and performance test by the Plesk team before getting published in the store.
What do you choose? Plesk or cPanel
Feel free to comment below or contact us
Thanks for dropping by. Ready for the next blog?